Thursday, April 7, 2022

Do-Over

Monday, April 4

After taking R's dad back to his place, we started the trek downstate to see my parents. But first, a stop at Trader Joe's to pick up some groceries for my mom. In Pontiac, we made a second stop at Wally's because we saw Mike Chen feature their brisket sandwich on his YouTube channel. I think Wally's must be the Illinois version of a Buc-ee's travel center/convenience store, although this one was kind of underwhelming, IMO. One day we'll have to road trip somewhere where there are Buc-ee's to compare. 

Tuesday, April 5

Mom fixed so many good things to eat yesterday and today, but alas, I have no photographic evidence. You'll have to take my word for it. Or you can check out some of my older blog posts for pics of her food herehere, and here.

Thursday, April 7

This is completely unfair. I had a whole food itinerary in mind for these last two days, and I was cheated. 

What happened on Wednesday, you ask? To be honest, I wasn't awake for most of it... 

I went to bed Tuesday and woke up in the middle of the night with an upset stomach. Not surprising, considering the volume of food I had consumed. But soon after, I violently emptied the contents of my digestive tract.

Both ends. 

Every hour, like torturous clockwork. 

The next morning, my mom was insistent that nothing she made could be responsible for my suffering since nobody else got sick.

She was right. 

Turns out that several people who came to the open house experienced similar symptoms. But not everyone ate the same thing, which probably rules out food poisoning. And to think that we were super cautious about COVID, when we really should have been more concerned about NOROVIRUS! 

We are *not* doing this again for #91.

One of my few conscious moments
Before we left, R went to the store for Pedialyte and Imodium because there was no way I could make the 2.5-hour drive back to Chicago without it. My dad even put a roll of toilet paper in the car in case I needed to make a mad dash into a cornfield by the side of the road - thankfully not needed!

We flew back to LAX this afternoon. Happy that we could be there to celebrate R's dad's birthday and see my parents, but definitely sad to be Avanti-less and Lou-less. 

Yep, I call a do-over.


No comments:

Post a Comment