Tuesday, August 6, 2019

City of Refuge

Park #153 for me, #151 for R, and #148 for the boys
After our paddling (mis)adventure, it took awhile for my seasickness to subside. So as I waited to get my land legs back, the guys loaded our stuff into the car. Then we left Nāpōʻopoʻo and continued south to Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau NHP.

This park preserves and interprets two places of importance to Hawaiian culture - the royal grounds of the aliʻi (chiefs) and the Puʻuhonua, or place of refuge, for those who broke kapu (sacred laws).

Since I was still not feeling quite 100%, I didn't pay as much attention to the descriptions of everything that I was seeing. I enjoyed just being in this gorgeous location. We will have to come back another time to learn more history.

Two shakas and a rock on



Kiʻi (wooden images of Hawaiian gods)

Royal grounds and the Great Wall

Looking into the Puʻuhonua

At this point, everyone was pretty hungry. Paddling and snorkeling for a couple hours will burn a few calories, right?! We found Keoki's Ono Fish and Chips along Māmalahoa Highway and decided to stop for lunch.

The ono (wahoo fish) was ʻono (delicious)!

Then it was back to the hotel for showers, naps, and laundry. I also had to stop by Snorkel Bob's to get a replacement snorkel and mask - an $80 oopsie. *ugh!* The funny thing is that when we returned to the kayak launch, we saw a couple heading out with scuba gear. Since they looked like locals, I think they were going out to scavenge lost items off the ocean floor. They probably found my mask and will sell it back to Snorkel Bob's, who will turn around and rent it out to the next clumsy tourist. Yep, we're stimulating the local economy...

We saved the best for last. For dinner, we went to Broke Da Mouth Grindz, which was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives!

Top: Hawaiian "animal style" burger and Kalua pork
Bottom: laulau with pork adobo fried rice and garlic furikake chicken with short rib and spam


No comments:

Post a Comment