Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Under the Sea

Kayaking was one of the things that was on the boys' must-do list. So I made reservations for two double kayaks (no time limit) with Bay Side Adventures. We've done it once before as a family as part of a ranger program at Whiskeytown NRA, but that was on a lake. With Hurricanes Erick and Flossie passing by the Big Island within the past few days, I was concerned about the ocean being rough. They assured me that Kealakekua Bay was sheltered, and that the water was calmer in the early morning.

If you say so...

Captain Cook Monument
Since M was the most experienced paddler (thanks to UCLA Concrete Canoe!), he was saddled with me, while J partnered with R. Once we got our snorkels and other gear tied down, off we went. It took us about 40 minutes to paddle the mile plus across the bay to Captain Cook Monument. 

From what I read, the snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay by the monument was supposed to be outstanding because of the clear and calm conditions. And since the only way to get here was either by four-mile roundtrip hike (1300-ft elevation change), tour boat, or kayak, I figured we could kill two birds (kayaking and snorkeling) with one stone. I just didn't figure that it would also almost kill *me*!

Once we reached the monument side, we started to get our gear out. However, it was a little tricky because we weren't permitted to beach our kayaks onshore. Somehow M and I capsized before I got my snorkel and mask on, so they promptly sank. M valiantly tried to dive down to find them, but to no avail. About the same time, R and J also tipped over but before they had tied everything back down. Stuff floating everywhere! At least we were able to recover all of their things.

At this point, the boys told us it was probably better if R and I stayed on the kayaks. With no snorkel or mask, what else was I going to do?! 







Not too long after, the tour boats started to arrive, and the water became really crowded with other snorkelers. So we decided to head back, but it was much harder to paddle the other direction. And to add insult to injury, by now I was feeling horribly seasick. "We'll never make it..."

Looks calm, doesn't it?

Obviously, we did make it back safely since I lived to tell the tale. But I'm pretty sure my days of adventurous activities are numbered!


No comments:

Post a Comment